• Quad designates an all-terrain vehicle, also called a four-wheeler, a Side-by-side (SBS) or an off-road vehicle;
  • QuadNB designates the New-Brunswick All-Terrain Vehicle Federation (NBATVF).


On which public roads are Quads and SBSs allowed to travel?

Quads and SBSs are allowed to access public roads identified by QuadNB and by different Municipal By-
Laws and approved by the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure and Department of Public Safety.

Which system of signals to indicate turning or stop is used?

Most Quads are already equipped with brake lights and some brands even have signal lights. If not, Quad enthusiasts must use their left hand with the arm to the left to indicate a left turn, the left hand pointing in the air for the right turn and the hand down pointing to the ground to indicate a stop or slowing down.

Are the designated public roads accessible to all Quads?

NOT NECESARILY. The Quad must clearly show on the left-hand side of the vehicle its current club member sticker with any QuadNB’s club or a member of any province in Canada having signed a Reciprocity Agreement with the NBATVF. (Nova-Scotia, Prince-Edouard Island and Ontario). If that is not the case for your Quad, you cannot access these designated routes.

What happens when a Quad is intercepted and that one or more infractions are identified in relation to the applicable legislations?

The officer on duty has the power to issue fines ranging from $100.00 to $2500.00.

What is the minimum legal age to drive a Quad on the public roads identified in the applicable legislations and on managed QuadNB trails?

The minimum legal age to drive a Quad in New Brunswick with a valid Driver’s License is 16 years of age. However, an individual aged 14 or 15 can have access if he/she has a Class-9 Driver’s License, has a Driver’s Training Certificate delivered by the NBATVF, and is accompanied by an adult who has also received a Driver’s Training Certificate delivered by the NBATVF. Children from 6 to 13 years old can follow the same driver’s course. They are therefore restricted to specific managed designated trails. Contact QuadNB for more details.

What is the minimum age to be a quad passenger?

There is none. It is the parents or the driver’s responsibility to judge if the child has the proper physical capacities to be a passenger and ensure the child’s safety as wearing: the proper fitted helmet, long sleeves, long pants, protective glasses, gloves and over ankle foot wear.

Does a motocross or dirt bike have the same rights on those streets as a Quad enthusiast?

NO. In the New Brunswick Off-Road Vehicle Act, dirt-bikes and/or motocrosses, whether equipped with brake lights or not, are not included in the definition of a Quad or an off-road vehicle.

Are there any restrictions on the hours when Quads can travel on the streets or roads mentioned in the applicable legislations?

Some municipalities have hour restrictions but not all. But we rely on the good judgement of enthusiasts to not be a burden for the residents living on those streets within municipalities or Local Service Districts.

Is there a restriction on the noise made by the Quads?

Yes, there are noise restrictions, as identified in the applicable legislations.

Is there a code of conduct among Quad enthusiasts when circulating in large groups?

Yes, when large numbers of Quads access the same roads, they should travel by smaller groups of 5 to 10 Quads at a time to avoid traffic congestion. They are also required to travel in a straight line.

Who has the priority between a regular vehicle and a Quad?

The Quad driver must yield, at any time, to regular motor vehicle users. Regular vehicles can also legally pass Quads or SBSs, even if full line markings (non-passing) are on the road, if Quads are travelling at a slower speed than the maximum speed limit.

At what speed are Quads and SBSs allowed to travel on the streets identified in the applicable legislations?

Quad drivers must respect the same speed limits as regular vehicles, as identified in the applicable legislations. Some cities also have reduced speed limits for Quads.

Is it mandatory to wear a safety helmet and a seat belt?

YES. It doesn’t matter if you drive a Quad or a SBS, the wearing of the safety helmet is mandatory and it is also for the SBS equipped with seat belts. For safety matters, it is also highly suggested to wear long pants, high to the heal boots, long sleeves and protective gloves.

What are the documents needed to carry when travelling with my Quad?

It is mandatory to carry in the vehicle or with you a proof of insurance, a copy of the registration of the
vehicle and have a valid plate sticker. The trail permit sticker has to be displayed on the left-hand side of the vehicle and clearly exposed to the officers of the law. If the sticker has been pealed of, it can be replaced for a $11,50 cost. You just need to communicate with your club. Those laws also apply to the out of province visitors. It is also recommended to carry your driver’s licence. Any individual that has lost his or her drivers licence due to impaired driving also loses the rights to drive a Quad.

Does my Quad need a rear-view mirror?

It is clearly indicated under the Off-Road Vehicle Act that an off-road vehicle has to be equipped of at least a left-hand side rear view mirror. It doesn’t matter if it’s a normal Quad or an Auto-quad (Side by side) equipped of a central mirror.

As a club member, I want to allow an individual other than me to drive my quad, does that person need to purchase a day or week-end pass in addition?

NO. Even if it’s a close family member, a neighbour or a friend that borrows your vehicle to go ride on managed trails, he or she doesn’t need to buy an additional pass. It’s the vehicle that counts not who drives it. Therefore, you need to make sure that that other driver didn’t lose his or her driver’s license following an impaired driving fault.

If I sell my quad through my membership term (Ending period December 31), do I still have to repay for a new trail permit fee?

No. You just need to peel off the first sticker layer, stick it to your pink copy that you received when you purchased your trail permit and communicate with your club to get a replacement sticker. You will just have an $11.50 cost to cover.


Club Admin


long-arrow-up linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram