URGENT NOTICE TO ALL QuadNB MEMBERS AND TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC
June 19, 2020
We have just received confirmation from the Department of Natural Resources and Energy Development that all professional and recreational activities on Crown land must cease effective immediately due to the extreme drought and the risk of fire. Please see the attached document to read more.
The Department of NRED and QuadNB also strongly encourage everyone to avoid going into the forest even if it is on private property for the time being. Please share with as many people as possible.
Together let’s keep NB safe.
Roger Daigle, president
Crown land closed due to extreme fire hazard
Natural Resources and Energy Development
June 19, 2020
FREDERICTON (GNB) –The Department of Natural Resources and Energy Development has closed all Crown land to industrial and recreational activities immediately due to extremely dry conditions across New Brunswick.
“The fire hazard in our province is extreme,” said Natural Resources and Energy Development Minister Mike Holland. “The hazard level in some regions of the province are the highest we’ve ever seen.”
The public is also strongly encouraged to stay out of the woods on private land as well.
“Our forests are tinder dry and right now even the smallest spark could ignite a major wildfire that could threaten people's homes and destroy wildlife habitat,” said Holland. “Even the heat coming off the bottom of a vehicle while you are driving through the woods could ignite a blade of grass.”
Dry conditions this spring have resulted in a busy forest fire season. So far this year, a total of 263 wildfires have burned more than 1141 hectares of forest land. The 10-year average to this date is 158 wildfires and 197 hectares.
Current burning restrictions and the Provincial Forest Fire Summary are updated daily at 2 p.m. and available online at www.gnb.ca/firewatch.